There is a temporary disruption with claim processing and payments. Change Healthcare is working diligently to restore the systems affected by the outage and will resume normal operations as soon as possible.
We appreciate your patience and understanding.
CHAMPVA Supplement for Individuals
A CHAMPVA supplement insurance plan wraps around your CHAMPVA insurance coverage, so that in most cases, you will obtain reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses not paid for by CHAMPVA. The supplement, like the CHAMPVA health insurance program itself, assists the spouses and dependents of veterans.
The supplement helps these families deal with all the “left over” inpatient and outpatient services expenses CHAMPVA leaves behind. It's a type of optional health insurance that helps many VA families.
What is CHAMPVA?
The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) is a health benefits program in which the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) shares the cost of certain health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. In general, the CHAMPVA program covers most health care services and supplies that are medically and psychologically necessary.
CHAMPVA Supplement Insurance Plan FeaturesThe optional supplement insurance offers additional features on top CHAMPVA benefits.
- 100% coinsurance
- 100% out-of-pocket costs for covered services
- Pays 100% of doctors visits, pharmacy, and hospital co-pays
- Guaranteed acceptance
- Coverage at almost any hospital and any doctor
- Comprehensive coverage
The supplement is for the spouse or dependent(s) of a deceased or fully disabled veteran, who is under age 65 and a CHAMPVA benefits recipient.
- You must be a member of the Government Employee Association to enroll in the supplement plan. If you are not a member of the Association, it is easy to become one. You can complete the membership application when you apply online to purchase this plan.
- Eligible Spouse: “Spouse” means your spouse who is under age 65 and a CHAMPVA benefits recipient, but not a spouse from whom you are legally separated or divorced. “Spouse” also means widow(er) if he or she is a member of the Association.
- Spouses over age 65 are also eligible if documentation from the Social Security Administration certifying their non-entitlement to Medicare Part A benefits is submitted with their enrollment form. Individuals who are Medicare beneficiaries may not enroll in the CHAMPVA Supplement Plan.
- Eligible dependent and unmarried children under age 18 (23 if a full-time college student) may also enroll.
MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL STATES.
CHAMPVA is Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA)
To be eligible for CHAMPVA healthcare supplement program you and your eligible family members must reach out to CHAMPVA to verify your spouse and dependents qualify for CHAMPVA.
CHAMPVA Supplement: Covers the spouse and dependents of the disabled veteran.
Qualifiers: under age 65, does not qualify for Medicare, must have CHAMPVA as primary.